Technology has spread to the many generations of people around the world and is widely used for numerous things. With all of the good things that come from technological advances, a lot of problems arise as well. In my opinion, technology has taken a toll on everyday face to face interaction. Technology can cause people to become lazy and not want to speak with people face to face anymore.
I was told a story by my Dad about an employee of his. He said that the employee was trying to ask him a question regarding something he was working on. Instead of speaking to my father in his office, he decided to instant message him. In my father's eyes, this was a sign of laziness. He would rather have his employees come to him in person to report or ask questions rather then send him a message through the internet.
This story is an example of the laziness that I believe comes from technological advances. We find ways to speak with people without having to have face to face contact with them. I also believe that this later hinders our abilities to speak with people face to face. In my own experience, I find it much easier to speak with someone over the internet rather than speak with them face to face. I have gotten more comfortable with instant messaging, texting, or even emailing people rather than speaking to them in person about what it is I need to address. This is something that I see as a problem that comes with the good of technology.
Using the internet to meet people is a really difficult subject for me. I believe that it is something that can be utilized to help meet people, but it should never be a person's first choice when trying to meet new people. People cannot be dependent on the Internet because it will hinder their ability to socialize face to face. To me, it is a real skill to be able to introduce yourself to someone face to face without seeming shady or strange. To some it comes easy. However, to others, it is a very difficult task. I believe that the Internet can be an escape route for the people who do not believe in their ability to break the ice face to face.
I do not think connecting with others through online communities is a viable way to create meaningful relationships. The Internet gives us the ability to be whoever we want to be because most do not really get to see the real person behind the mask. I can be the funniest person in the world on the Internet while in real life being a very boring person. That is not a way to create meaningful friendships. Meaningful friendships come from the interaction that people have daily face to face. Two people must really know who that person is and whether or not they can put up with the good things about them and their faults. A "virtual relationship" does not allow this to happen.
I believe that society does need to create more places for people to interact and socialize. It can be really hard for someone to find the right kind of human interaction without going to a bar or club. Even at those kinds of places people are not seeing each other for who we really are. In my opinion, people need to try to communicate more through face to face interaction rather than online interaction to truly have a healthy relationship with that person. The only way this will happen is if we are able to branch away from the computer or phone and into a club of some sort where people with similar interests can meet.
No comments:
Post a Comment